The Duarte/City of Hope Station is part of the Foothill Gold Line from Pasadena to Azusa, completed on time and on budget on September 23, 2015. The 11.5-mile, six-station extension was then turned over to Metro. Passenger service began on March 5, 2016.
The Duarte/City of Hope Station is located along Duarte Road, just west of Highland Avenue and within a short walk to the City of Hope National Medical Center. It is a center platform station, with tracks on both sides. Access to the station will be available from both the east and west sides of the platform.
A 125-space parking facility is located directly north of the station. Bicycle parking and lockers are available.
On December 10, 2013, the Duarte City Council adopted the Duarte Station Specific Plan, which establishes the framework for a future TOD adjacent to the Duarte/City of Hope station. The Duarte Station Specific Plan allows for up to 475 residential units, 400,000 square feet of office, 12,000 square feet of commercial, and 250 hotel rooms in the 19-acre planning area. On June 12, 2014, the City of Duarte received the 2014 Economic Planning and Development Award from the American Planning Association - Los Angeles Chapter (source: Duarte Dispatch).
In 1841, the governor of Alta California granted nearly 7,000 acres of prime land in the upper San Gabriel Valley to Mexican ex-Army Corporal Andres Duarte and his wife. He named the place Rancho Azusa de Duarte. In the early part of this century, one of the country's premier medical institutions established its home in Duarte. In 1928, the Jewish Relief Association started a tuberculosis sanitarium on 40 acres of land South of Duarte Road. This later evolved into the world-renowned City of Hope National Medical Center, a recognized leader in fighting cancer and other catastrophic diseases. In 1957, a dedicated group of community members led the fight for incorporation, and on August 22, 1957, their efforts paid off with the formation of the City of Duarte and the Duarte Unified School District.
City of Duarte - www.accessduarte.com
City of Hope National Medical Center - www.cityofhope.org
Duarte Chamber of Commerce - www.duartechamber.com
Duarte Historical Society - www.duartehistory.org
Justice Brothers Racing Museum - www.justicebrothers.com
About the Artists
Myklebust and Sears create context-driven sculptural works, which are made meaningful by reflecting the natural and cultural histories of their sites. Because each project is shaped by the needs of its end-users and the special circumstances of its location, the artists do not develop designs for a project until they have had an opportunity to meet with stakeholders and explore a site and its community in depth.
Andrea Myklebust and Stanton Gray Sears are two accomplished artists who began working collaboratively in 1993. Based in Wisconsin, this artist team has an impressive array of public art projects around the country. Some of the highlights of their collaborative work include: artwork for light-rail stations on the Minneapolis-St. Paul Central Corridor Line; architecturally-integrated artwork for the Microbial Sciences building at the University of Wisconsin at Madison; work on the Minnesota World War II Memorial; and design and creation of a granite entry paving for the historic Fox Theatre in Stockton, CA.
For more information on previous or current projects by this artist team, visit http://www.myklebustsears.com
Title for Station Artwork
Spirit of the San Gabriel River
Above, artist detail of future Duarte station paver
Statement for Station Artwork
Central to the development of the station art concept was research conducted by the artist team at the local historical society and a visit to the San Gabriel River. Perhaps one of the most interesting aspects of the development process for the artwork was how the team assembles the visual reference material to tell a story of Duarte. The challenge to the art concept for this station was the limited space for placement of the art. The artist team recognized early that the visual opportunities for sighting the art were most beneficial if located on the station platform. This will allow for train passengers and car travelers on Duarte Road to enjoy the primary sculptural elements.
Myklebust and Sears developed a series of three painted steel-and-stone sculptural columns for the platform. The columns are approximately 10 feet tall, and are spaced evenly in relation to the other vertical elements on the station platform. The top portion of each sculpture is hand-carved limestone. Each column incorporates a different aspect of local history. In one, the carved limestone capital is drawn from the tooled leather designs of a nineteenth-century California-style saddle. In another, the traditional weaving patterns of the Tongva/Gabrieleno people resemble a gathering basket. The heavy steel plate structures of each sculpture echo the forms of the carved stone capitals.
Below each sculpture, integrated along with the design of the platform paving, are 8-inch-square low-relief cast bronze pavers, which depict three different patterns of orange blossoms, branches and fruit. These images are inspired by the colorful orange crate labels that were prevalent in the region when citrus farms were the primary industry. Over time, the bronze pavers will wear and become more light-reflective in the higher points of the relief patterns.
The Foothill Gold Line from Pasadena to Azusa (Pasadena to Azusa) broke ground on June 26, 2010 and was completed on time and on budget on September 23, 2015. The 11.5-mile, six-station extension was then turned over to Metro. Passenger service began on March 5, 2016.
As trains will be traveling along the Foothill Gold Line tracks, always remember the following: